8.8.09

Two poems and a toast

“The Stenographer’s Wedding”

“The bride and groom would like to exchange their own vows...”
My Johnny, says the bride, we’ve been waiting for this moment
since our first kiss,
My Anne-Marie, responds the groom, we’ve been waiting for this
moment since the first time I requested that you “pull my finger”
and though we’ve both had our reservations, continues the bride,
and though I’ve had my reservations, continues the groom,
I wouldn’t trade our relationship, our partnership, our LOVE,
says the bride,
for all the blood diamonds in the world
I wouldn’t be a man, admits the groom, if I didn’t admit that I’ve
been having an internet affair with a Thai transvestite.
....

...

..


.

Kiss the bride?

---


“The Kiss of the Socialite”

of all the colors
on the palette
the most beautiful
is the most empty
of all the words
in our rich lexicon
the ones monosyllabic
are the most stark
(because style trumps substance)
and internet sex videos are
dark with glowing eyes
and nipples and pudenda obscured by shadow
with male figures brutish lumpish
pounding away ingloriously
ready the loveless kiss of the socialite
beautiful empty nymph
I “pucker up” for nothing.
(2009)
"Whatever happens tonight, just remember: when you wake up 'I was drunk' is always the best excuse."
Poems © Patrick Patterson-Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment